Saturday, November 14, 2009

Top 8-Free Muffins/Bread

It has come to my attention that there are some folks out there who are reallyreallyreally missing bread products. You just think they'll always be there for you and then all of a sudden, WHAMMO! Food allergies. Or Celiac Disease. Ugh.

This is a very flexible recipe for muffins/bread. The bread won't quite stick together well enough for a regular sandwich but I do like to use it for grilled sandwiches. The grilling kind of holds it together and then I use a fork to eat it so it's all good.

The prep on this is quite fast... maybe 10 minutes. (I'm slow.) And here's what one looked for a Thanksgiving dinner.



GF Muffins
1 cup rice flour
1 cup garbanzo bean flour
1 heaping tsp baking powder
1 tsp xanthan gum or about 1/2 tsp guar gum
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup oil (I usually use grapeseed but have also used olive)
2 eggs/egg sub (I use 1/2 cup applesauce. I suspect flax goo would be better, but it's an allergen at our house.)
1 cup rice milk (I use oat milk)

And here are flour subs I've tried. We are rice-free.

Blend #1: Bob's Red Mill GF all-purpose flour.
Didn't really like this one. The beany flavor was way too strong for me.

Blend #2: This blend was pretty good, with just a tiny bit of sweetness to it.
1/4 cup tapioca starch
1/4 cup sweet white sorghum flour
1 cup oat flour
1/2 cup buckwheat flour

Blend #3: I also liked this one but maybe not quite as well.
1 cup oat flour
1 cup buckwheat flour

Combine dry ingredients in one bowl and wet in another; mix each separately first. Combine wet ingredients with dry. Stir until well blended.

Add herbs/spices if you want...garlic, rosemary, basil, etc. I think it would be good with olive oil, rosemary and olives.

MUFFINS: Spoon mixture into muffin cups, bake at 350°F for 16-20 minutes.
BISCUITS: Drop batter directly onto cookie sheet, bake at 350°F for 16-20 minutes. These aren't very biscuity, really, I'd use the 'Buttermilk' Biscuit recipe instead.
BREAD: Pour mixture into greased bread pan, bake at 350°F for ?? (I didn't write down the timing...I'd try 40 minutes to start & go from there.)

In general, my feeling on this recipe is that you can use almost any combination of flours and you'll have a pretty reasonable muffin/bread. I will continue to play with this, as I think a person could come up with some really fabulous combinations. I look forward to hearing what you, friends/readers, come up with!

No comments:

Post a Comment