Sunday, November 15, 2009

Cream of Mushroom Soup, v. 1

I was going to post a Green Bean Casserole Cook-off Challenge for Thanksgiving. But it's just over a week away (!), which seems not nearly enough time. So I'll post a few versions & you can all just pick whichever one looks the most promising for your family. Or have your own cook-off & post your results in the comments! :)



I came across this recipe, and it seemed like it'd work for my family without too many subs. And I had pretty much everything on-hand...huge plus.

You can sub this in for just the soup in the traditional green bean casserole recipe or you can replace the whole recipe, depending on your needs.

Cream of Mushroom Soup
EVOO or GSO, for sauteing
1 lb mushrooms of choice (I thought this was about 2x the necessary amount but it tasted good...just too lumpy for my own preferences)
6 Tbs butter or sub (I used palm oil shortening. Might be able to sub in oil as well.)
2 c chicken/vegetable broth
2 c whole milk (or other safe milk...I used oat)
6 Tbs safe flour (sweet/brown rice flour recommended in original recipe, but I used potato starch just for fun. See notes below.)
1 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp garlic powder
dash cayenne pepper (optional, for a bit of a kick)
salt & pepper, to taste

Saute mushrooms in olive or grapeseed oil and set aside.

Melt butter or butter sub in a large saucepan. After butter has started to bubble, add flour to make a roux. Then add spices. (Feel free to tweak the spices in this recipe to suit your tastes.) Once the roux has cooked/bubbled for a few minutes, add milk and broth. Whisk over medium heat until the sauce thickens.

Once the sauce has thickened to desired consistency, add the sauteed mushrooms. Serve hot or use for green bean casserole.

My notes:
When I added the potato starch, I thought I had ruined the soup. It didn't mix in well and seemed stiff and sticky and I was pretty sure it was going to permanently bond to the saucepan. Kept going anyway. (I'm a little stubborn like that, sometimes.) Took quite a bit of whisking, but I finally got it to sort of blend and it did actually thicken like it should when the oat milk & broth went in. Yay!

I was making this while also making that night's dinner so I 1) am lacking pictures aside from the sauteed mushrooms (hopefully will add some next time I make it) and 2) stuck it in the fridge and ate it the next night instead of eating it fresh OR using it in casserole. Since I just had mouth surgery and still cannot chew, I also stuck it into the blender and smoothed out all the mushroom lumps.

If you like mushrooms, you'll probably really like this recipe as is. I like mushroom flavor but the texture skeeves me out. So the blending thing worked out great for me and I really enjoyed the smoooth, mushroomy-tasting soup. I find most canned mushroom soups a bit bland, so this was a nice change. Not strong at all (bring on the picky kids/husbands!) but a richer, deeper flavor than you might be used to. When (yes, when) I make this again, I think I'll leave a few small mushroom pieces out of the blending to be added in at the end.

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to try this! I think I will use the potato starch too, since I think rice flour can be a bit grainy sometimes.

    ReplyDelete