So you have to cut out egg. And you're thinking, 'Oh no! Now I can't make my favorite recipe for __________ [cookies, cake, bread, pancakes, etc.)!' Ah, but you probably can. Okay, quiche is pretty much out, as much as I'd love to say otherwise. But here's a little gift for you, my egglergic friend...
**Disclaimer: These egg substitutes are not all top 8-free.
As leavening, use the following to sub for one egg:
- arrowroot: mix 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder with 3 tablespoons water
- baking powder: mix 1 teaspoon baking powder with 1 tablespoon water. Add 1 tablespoon vinegar. For better rising, add just before adding egg sub to recipe.
- cornstarch: mix 1 tablespoon cornstarch with 3 tablespoons water
- Ener-G Egg Replacer: follow directions on box
- yeast: dissolve 1 teaspoon in 1/4 cup warm water
(flour-based leavening subs)
- baking flour: mix 2 teaspoons baking flour with 2 tablespoons carbonated water
- bean flour: mix 1 tablespoon bean flour with 1 tablespoon oil
- soy flour: mix 1 heaping tablespoon soy flour with 1-2 tablespoon water
- unbleached white or other gluten flour: mix 2 tablespoons flour, 1 1/2 teaspoons corn oil, 1/2 teaspoons baking powder and 2 tablespoons water
As a binder, use the following to sub for one egg:
- applesauce: 1/4 cup applesauce
- apricot puree: 1 tablespoon
- baking powder: mix 1 teaspoon baking powder with 1 1/2 tablespoons water and 1 1/2 tablespoons oil
- banana: 1/2 large mashed banana. Best used in sweet recipes such as cakes, cookies, dessert breads, etc.
- flaxseed meal: Heat 3 tablespoons of water (can use up to 1/4 cup water to sub for comparable volume) to just boiling. Add 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed and let cool at least 5 minutes before using.
- gelatin: mix one packet of unflavored gelatin with one cup boiling water (use 3 tablespoons of this mixture for one egg). Do not mix this ahead of time.
- pear puree: 1/4 cup pureed pears
- prunes: 1/4 cup prunes
- soy milk: 1/4 cup soy milk
- tofu: 1/4 cup of soft tofu
Not Sure of Usage--Can anyone help?
- Arrowroot flour: 2 tablespoons
- Cornstarch: 2 tablespoons
- Potato starch: 2 tablespoons
- Soy milk powder: mix 1 tablespoon soy milk powder with 1 tablespoon cornstarch and 2 tablespoons water